Shed Update: Work Begins


Bit of an unintentional tilt on that photo there, I was probably a bit shaky after moving the shed floor from the Southern boundary where it's been propped against the fence since March, to its intended berth under the ash tree, because it's bloody heavy and awkward to move. I was reminded of the way large sheets of metal, maybe 25mm thick, would wobble as they were hoisted by a crane around a shipyard, appearing deceptively delicate. 

I dragged it on its edge down the path, a few inches at a time, after manoeuvring it out from the fence, perilously close to the still active wasps' nest. It needs levelled up - the rubble base is uneven.  Nontheless, this feels like a significant moment. This area under the tree was a kind-of raised bed for the predecessor, his last crop, onions, were growing there when I took over, and we had them with our Christmas dinner in 2015. 

The soil was awful, full of stones and glass. I removed the mortar-less wall of the bed. I excavated it, riddling the spoil, until I got down to a peculiar set of structures, which, I notice, I was inclined to leave-be back in April 2016. By June of last year, however, I'd clearly decided this was the place for the shed, and began on the work of riddling stony earth and filling the hole I'd dug out with rubble. One way or another, I've been pretty much doing that ever since, and now it's done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTPTP XXV: We Shall Overcome

Leech or flatworm? Ants and Swiss Chard

VINEGAR!